In May 2018 Health Canada announced the results of its second safety review of Magnevist, MultiHance, Omniscan, and Optimark, as well as other gadolinium contrast injections for MRIs, CT scans, and other radiology procedures.
In May 2018 Health Canada issued this document, “Summary Safety Review – Gadolinium based contrast agents – Assessing the risk of gadolinium build-up in the brain and potential brain and nervous system (neurological) side effects”. Therein, this drug safety regulatory agency for Canada announced the results of its second safety review of Magnevist, MultiHance, Omniscan, and Optimark, as well as other radiology contrast agents containing gadolinium.
From the Safety Review Findings part of that May 2018 Health Canada document we get these three points:
- This safety review looked at published and unpublished studies (57 in humans and 12 in animals) and 7 international case reports of gadolinium build-up in the brain linked to the use of GBCAs. The human studies and case reports found evidence of gadolinium build-up in the brain, in most cases this occurred many months after the use of GBCAs. Similar findings were seen in the animal studies.
- Evidence from these studies suggests that the risk of gadolinium build-up in the brain is higher with repeated use of GBCAs and with linear GBCAs. However, gadolinium build-ups were seen with both types of GBCAs.
- Factors that may increase the risk of gadolinium build-up in the brain following the use of GBCAs are not yet completely understood. However, patients who may need repeated GBCA use and vulnerable populations (e.g. children, pregnant women) may be more at risk of gadolinium build-up in the brain.
Our law firm is investigating possible products liability lawsuits against the pharmaceutical companies responsible for the linear gadolinium-based contrast agents, or contrast dyes, which are shown below:
- Magnevist — Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Eovist — Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- MultiHance — Bracco Diagnostics Inc.
- Omniscan — GE Healthcare
- OptiMARK — Liebel-Flarsheim Company LLC
- Ablavar — Lantheus Medical Imaging, Inc.
If we can be of assistance to you or a loved one as regards a possible gadolinium contrast agents case, please do not hesitate to contact us.[Read article in full at original source]