In a rush? You can use our Quick Contact Form to tell us the basic information about your case.
This Is Also A Drug Side Effect Of Tekturna HCT, Tekamlo, Amturnide, and Valturna — Other Blood Pressure Medicines Containing Aliskiren
Tekturna (aliskiren) was approved by the FDA for marketing in March 2007 after it was evaluated for safety in 6,460 patients, and only 1250 patients were treated for longer than 1 year. As we have learned too often with many newly marketed drugs, the true incidence of serious adverse events may not be realized until many thousands or millions of exposures have occurred in a patient population less homogeneous than the group participating in the premarketing trials. And that scenario may be the case with Tekturna as well as the other aliskiren related drugs:
- Tekturna HCT (aliskiren hemifumarate and hydrochlorothiazide)
- Tekamlo (aliskiren hemifumarate and amlodipine besylate)
- Amturnide (aliskiren hemifumarate, amlodipine besylate, and hydrochlorothiazide
- Valturna (aliskiren hemifumarate and valsartan). NOTE: Novartis stopped marketing Valturna in July 2012, i.e., withdrawn from the market.
Some medical research has shown that patients with Type-2 diabetes are more likely to experience the following side effects than are patients with Type-2 diabetes who are not taking Tekturna:
• Increased blood potassium levels (hyperkalemia)
• Kidney (renal) damage
• Low blood pressure (hypotension)
We will continue to monitor the safety issues involving Tekturna, and report significant developments here.
We encourage you to submit a Drug Injury Law Case Review – it is free, confidential, and there is no obligation. Or, if you prefer, call our toll-free number, (800) 426-9535, to speak directly to attorney Tom Lamb about a possible drug injury case. Either way, you will get Mr. Lamb’s impressions — not an intake person, a paralegal, nor some other lawyer — about your case based on his many years of experience.
Related articles by attorney Tom Lamb on the Side Effects Blog:
- Tekturna Should Not Be Used In Combination With Certain Other Blood Pressure Drugs Due To Side Effects Hyperkalemia And Kidney Problems, Says Health Canada
- Tekturna And Other Aliskiren Related Blood Pressure Medications Can Cause Renal Failure, Kidney Complications, And Strokes
All content by attorney Tom Lamb