What is NuvaRing?
NuvaRing -- manufactured by Organon, Schering-Plough, and Merck --is the trade name for a combined hormonal contraceptive vaginal ring used for birth control. It contains ethinyl estradiol and etonogestrel, a metabolite of desogestrel, which has been recognized as a possibly dangerous progestin. NuvaRing has been associated with adverse side effects such as:
- Blood Clots
- Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
- Pulmonary Embolism (PE)
- Ischemic Stroke
- Cerebrovascular Accidents (CVA)
- Heart Attack
- Myocardial Infarction (MI)
Ten Most Recent NuvaRing Case Evaluations
NuvaRing - Pulmonary Embolism (PE) - 20 yr old woman (7762)
NuvaRing - Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) - 37 yr old woman (7689)
NuvaRing - Bilateral Pulmonary Embolism (PE) - 27 yr old woman (7677)
NuvaRing - Pulmonary Embolism (PE) - 25 yr old woman (7631)
NuvaRing - Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) - 30 yr old woman (7627)
NuvaRing - Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) - 51 yr old woman (7583)
NuvaRing - Pulmonary Embolism (PE) - 24 yr old woman (7582)
NuvaRing - Pulmonary Embolism (PE) - 17 yr old girl (7573)
NuvaRing - Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) - 34 yr old woman (7455)
NuvaRing - Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) - 36 yr old woman (7421)
The information you provide to us for this Free Case Evaluation will be treated as strictly confidential. You will get a reply from us no later than the next business day. Submitting a case evaluation does not obligate you to hire our law firm for your lawsuit. We handle all cases on a contingency fee basis, which means that you will make no payment for our legal services until after we have succeeded in getting legal compensation for you. Go to Form
First NuvaRing Lawsuit Trials Against Merck Are Currently Scheduled To Start In May 2013 (New Jersey State Court NuvaRing Mass Tort Consolidation) And July 2013 (Federal Court NuvaRing MDL)
The first bellwether, or test, trial in the New Jersey state court consolidation of NuvaRing lawsuits is currently scheduled to start on May 6, 2013. In the federal court NuvaRing MDL, the first bellwether trial is set to start on July 8, 2013.
New Research Finds 90% Increased Risk Of Blood Clots While Using NuvaRing Compared to Older Class Of Birth Control Pills Containing Levonorgestrel
In May 2012 medical studies about the safety of Merck's NuvaRing came to opposite conclusions. A study done by independent researchers found that compared to birth control pills the NuvaRing had a 90% greater risk of blood clots that cause deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and/or pulmonary embolism (PE). A study sponsored by drug company Merck found its vaginal ring posed no greater or 0% risk.
More Than 700 NuvaRing Lawsuits Filed Against Merck And Organon At Start Of 2011
As of December 31, 2010 there were approximately 730 NuvaRing cases filed against Merck and Organon. 610 NuvaRing lawsuits are pending in the federal court NuvaRing MDL and 110 cases have been filed in the New Jersey state court consolidation.
First NuvaRing Lawsuit Trials In Federal Court MDL And New Jersey State Court Expected To Be Scheduled For Summer 2011
The first NuvaRing trials for the hundreds of injury and death lawsuits that have been filed against Organon, Schering-Plough, and Merck are expected to be scheduled to start in the summer of 2011.
Judge Sippel Schedules A December 1, 2009 "Science Day" For NuvaRing MDL Litigation
MDL Judge Sippel will hear presentations on (1) the Plaintiffs’ theory about how the NuvaRing causes an increased risk of serious blood clots, and (2) drug company’s contention that the NuvaRing is not a dangerous nor unsafe birth control method.
Growing Number Of NuvaRing Lawsuits Results In Cases Being Centralized By Courts
- In order to manage the hundreds of NuvaRing lawsuits, federal court system established the NuvaRing multidistrict litigation (MDL) in August 2008 and New Jersey state court system designated NuvaRing as a Mass Tort in March 2009.
- NuvaRing MDL (Multidistrict Litigation) Likely To Be In Eastern District Of Missouri
- In late April 2008 attorneys representing some of the women who have sued Organon USA Inc. and other pharmaceutical companies associated with the NuvaRing birth control device filed court papers seeking the establishment of a federal court multidistrict litigation, or MDL, for the NuvaRing litigation.
- Is There A Safety Problem With NuvaRing And Why Are Lawsuits Being Filed?
- As a result of case reports made by women and their doctors, NuvaRing use is associated with serious side effects resulting from blood clots, such pulmonary embolism (PE) and deep vein thrombosis (DVT) as well as strokes and heart attacks, with some events resulting in death.
- NuvaRing Birth Control Device Use Can Cause Blood Clots and Related Serious Side Effects
- NuvaRing contains etonogestrel, a metabolite of desogestrel, which has been recognized as a possibly dangerous progestin. An article published in the October 9, 2003 edition of The New England Journal of Medicine, “Combination Estrogen–Progestin Oral Contraceptives”, discusses how desogestrel is harmful.
Pulmonary Embolism And Deep Vein Thrombosis: Symptoms, Treatment, and Recovery
For women who are using estrogen-progestin methods of birth contro, such as NuvaRing, here is some important information about symptoms, treatment and recovery from a blood clot, which is a serious, potentially fatal side effect of these birth control products.
NuvaRing Class Actions
- We believe that people who suffered a serious injury or death due to the NuvaRing contraceptive are better served when an individual lawsuit is filed on their behalf. A serious injury or death case should not be filed as part of any NuvaRing class action together with the claims of many other people who may have had different injuries caused by NuvaRing.
- Legal Compensation for NuvaRing Injuries
- If you experienced serious side effects from the use of NuvaRing, or a person died due to an adverse reaction while using NuvaRing birth control, you may have a claim for legal compensation. Legal compensation claims involving injuries or death caused by the use of NuvaRing are made by filing a lawsuit in court. All states have statutes of limitations that determine the time period allowed to file a NuvaRing lawsuit.
Marie Claire magazine, June 2011 -- By Laura Beil
Since NuvaRing hit the market, more than 1000 women have filed lawsuits, claiming it has caused potentially life-threatening blood clots resulting in a DVT, PE, or stroke.
(Includes interview with drug injury attorney Tom Lamb.)
Read more: Birth Control Health Risks - Is the NuvaRing Dangerous? - Marie Claire
NuvaRing Update 2013: More NuvaRing Lawsuits Filed According To Merck Report; First NuvaRing Trial Dates Moved Back (Again)
March 2013 Rulings By New Jersey Judge Martinotti And NuvaRing MDL Judge Sippel On Expert Witness Testimony Issues All Go In Favor Of Plaintiffs
SUMMARY: There were approximately 1,315 NuvaRing cases filed against Organon, Schering-Plough, and Merck at the start of January 2013, with about 1,105 of those NuvaRing lawsuits being part of the federal court NuvaRing MDL.
On March 5, 2013 Judge Brian Martinotti moved the first New Jersey state court NuvaRing trial date from May 6, 2013 to June 17, 2013 at the request of the defense attorneys.
[Read this article in full at original source]
Earlier NuvaRing articles by Tom Lamb on the Drug Injury Watch blog:
Some Newer Contraceptive Methods Such As NuvaRing And YAZ / Yasmin Are Under Increasing Scrutiny Over In Europe
NuvaRing: Plaintiffs' Expert Reports Made Available By New Jersey Judge Based On Public's Right Of Access To Judicial Proceedings
Disturbing Information About NuvaRing Safety Found In Motions On Experts Recently Unsealed By Federal Court MDL Judge
New 2012 Medical Study Shows NuvaRing Doubles The Risk Of Stroke And Heart Attack, And The Degree Of Risk Increases With Age
Merck's NuvaRing Increases The Relative Risk For Blood-Clot Side Effects Says Medical Expert After Weighing Competing Studies
Merck Funded Study Says There Is No Blood Clot Risk With NuvaRing, While BMJ Medical Journal Article Reports A 90% Increased Risk
950 NuvaRing Lawsuits Pending As Of December 31, 2011 According To Merck Annual Report
Current First NuvaRing Trial Date: New Jersey State Court Bellwether Case Set For Early February 2013
NuvaRing Update: October 2011 FDA Study Finds Increased Risk Of Pulmonary Embolism (PE) And Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
730 NuvaRing Lawsuits Filed As Of December 31, 2010 Per Merck Annual Report
NuvaRing Update: First Trial Dates In MDL And New Jersey Mass Tort Litigation Not Until 2012, Now
Medical Journal Report: Adverse Drug Reactions And Pulmonary Embolism Are Often Difficult For Doctors To Diagnose
WebMD List Of Symptoms For Serious Side Effects From Using Estrogen-Progestin Birth Control Methods
August 2008: NuvaRing MDL Created In Federal Court System, Eastern District Of Missouri
More Reports Of Serious Blood Clots In Women Using Birth Control Patch Or Vaginal Ring
More Reports of Women Who Had Venous Thromboembolic Events Associated With Their Use Of NuvaRing
NuvaRing Birth Control Device Can Cause Pulmonary Embolism, Deep Vein Thrombosis, Stroke, And Heart Attack: Part Two
NuvaRing Birth Control Device Can Cause Pulmonary Embolism, Deep Vein Thrombosis, Stroke, And Heart Attack: Part One
All content by attorney Tom Lamb