Fosamax is Merck's popular osteoporosis drug, generically known as alendronate, which is part of a class of drugs known as bisphosphonates. Fosamax is used to treat osteoporosis and bone pain caused by some cancers.
Fosamax use has been associated with atypical stress fractures, or insufficiency fractures, of the femur / thigh bone. While the medical articles about femur fractures in long-term users of Fosamax have been getting more attention recently, many prescribing and treating doctors have still not learned about this possible Fosamax side effect, yet.
Other osteoporosis medications such as Actonel and/or Boniva can cause these serious side effects, also -- even in there is no Fosamax involved.
Ten Most Recent Fosamax Case Evaluations
Fosamax - Femur Fractures Both Legs but Different Incident Dates - 81 yr old woman (8047)
Boniva and Fosamax - Femur Fracture - 64 yr old woman (8006)
Boniva and Fosamax - Atypical Stress Fracture of Femur - 57 yr old woman (7939)
Fosamax and Actonel - Femur Fracture - 56 yr old woman (7867)
Fosamax and Boniva - Femur Fractures -- Left leg first then 8 months later Right leg - 61 yr
old woman (7859)
Fosamax / Boniva / Reclast - Femur Fracture - 58 yr old woman (7818)
Fosamax - Femur Fracture - 58 yr old woman (7755)
Fosamax - Femur Fracture - 64 yr old woman (7752)
Fosamax and Boniva - Femur Fracture - 61 yr old woman (7712)
The information you provide to us for this Free Case Evaluation will be treated as strictly confidential. You will get a reply from us no later than the next business day. Submitting a case evaluation does not obligate you to hire our law firm for your lawsuit. We handle all cases on a contingency fee basis, which means that you will make no payment for our legal services until after we have succeeded in getting legal compensation for you. Go to Form
NOTE: This Case Evaluation form can also be completed for situations that involve other bisphosphonate osteoporosis medications such as Actonel and/or Boniva -- even if there is no Fosamax involved.
Fosamax Lawsuits: Leg Injury Femur Fracture Litigation Update: Legal And Medical
Read this new September 2012 report on the latest legal and medical developments about Fosamax femur fracture cases from drug injury lawyer Tom Lamb, who has been handling Fosamax lawsuits since 2006.
Fosamax Femur Fractures: 2012 Update From FDA And Medical Journals Re: Health & Safety And Litigation
There is a significant increased risk of atypical femur fractures (low-stress) in women who have used Fosamax for more than five (5) years -- and little to no benefit for most woman -- according to 2012 FDA safety review and Swiss medical study.
Fosamax Femur / Thigh Bone Fractures: September 2010 Task Force Report Finds Possible Link
"FDA Statement on ASBMR report: Possible Increased Risk of Certain Types of Thigh Bone Fractures with Long-Term Bisphosphonates Use" indicates that the FDA may want Merck & Co., Inc. to revise the package insert, or label, for its osteoporosis drug Fosamax to increase warning about possible atypical femur fracture side effect.
Fosamax Warning About Femur Fractures May Be Increased By Merck, Soon, Due To An FDA Request
The FDA may require Merck to make a Fosamax label change to increase their warning about atypical femur fractures after a task force appointed by the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research (ASBMR) issued its report in September 2010, which included such a recommendation.
First Jury Verdict For Fosamax ONJ Plaintiff Comes In June 2010: Boles v. Merck
The case of Boles v. Merck & Co., one of the hundreds of Fosamax jaw injury lawsuits that are combined in the federal court MDL titled In Re Fosamax Products Liability Litigation (MDL 1789, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, Manhattan), concluded in late June 2010 with an $8 million verdict in favor of the plaintiff, Shirley Boles.
- Long-Term Use Of Fosamax May Cause Femur Fractures According To Research Presented At March 2010 Annual Meeting Of AAOS
- FDA is investigating possible link between bisphosphonate use and a risk of atypical subtrochanteric femur fractures. At the 2010 Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), preliminary research was presented which shows that bisphosphonate drugs such as Fosamax may adversely affect bone quality and increase the risk of atypical fractures of the femur when used for four or more years.
- Femoral Stress Fractures Are Possible Fosamax Side Effect
- A preliminary study reported by Drs. Dean G. Lorich and Joseph M. Lane of NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center in the latest issue of the Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma says long-term use of Fosamax may suppress the ability of bones to heal in some patients. As a consequence, patients with routine stress fractures are unable to properly heal, and minor damage can worsen until a serious fracture occurs.
- What Fosamax Patients Should Know About Symptoms of Osteonecrosis of the Jaw (ONJ)
- There has been increased attention over the past couple of years given to the association between the use of oral bisphosphonates such as Fosamax and the serious side effect osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ). It is understandable, therefore, that Fosamax patients want to know the early signs and symptoms of ONJ, which is sometimes referred to as jaw bone decay. Furthermore, the unfortunate patient diagnosed with this type of osteonecrosis should know how the extent of their condition determines the staging of ONJ upon diagnosis as well as their course of treatment thereafter.
Theories on How Fosamax Causes Drug-Induced Osteonecrosis of the Jaw (ONJ)
- It is now generally accepted that there is an association between the use of Fosamax, an oral bisphosphonate, and osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ), a serious side effect which also has been referred to as jaw rot or jawbone death. In 2006 there were two medical journal articles that provided new information about how Fosamax might cause osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) and, in connection with those causation theories, what are some of the predisposing, or risk, factors for ONJ as regards patients using Fosamax and other bisphosphonates.
Merck Failed To Warn About Fosamax Adverse Side Effects In A Timely Manner
- For almost a year, Merck & Co. failed to warn doctors and patients about osteonecrosis of the jaw (rotting of the jaw bone), a serious side effect that has been associated with its osteoporosis drug Fosamax (alendronate).
How and Why Fosamax Causes Osteonecrosis of the Jaw (ONJ)
- In an article entitled "Bisphosphonate-induced exposed bone of the jaws", Robert Marx, MD provides insight about why the jaw bone is susceptible to osteonecrosis, or "bone death." The serious jaw bone condition can develop years after a person stops taking Fosamax.
Serious Side Effects of Fosamax: Osteonecrosis and Jaw Bone Death
- Because Fosamax and other bisphosphonates remain in the bone for an extended period, Dr. Salvatore Ruggiero speculates that their long-term use could negatively affect the delicate balance in the jaw which exists normally between those cells that put calcium in bone and those cells that take calcium away, and thereby cause osteonecrosis of the jaw. Some dentists and doctors have started to call this increasingly prevalent problem "bisphossy jaw".
Fosamax Class Actions
- We believe that people who suffered a serious injury Fosamax (alendronate) are better served when an individual lawsuit is filed on their behalf. A serious injury case should not be filed as part of any Fosamax class action together with the claims of many other people who may have had different injuries caused by this bisphosphonate drug.
Fosamax and Legal Compensation
- Statutes of limitations deadlines can mean no legal compensation for Fosamax side effects such as osteonecrosis, osteomyelitis, or an atypical femur fracture.
(5/10/12, ABC News -- 2:02 video and article)
Prolonged use of Fosamax, Boniva, and Actonel may cause femur fractures.
Merck Faces More Than 4100 Fosamax - Femur Fracture Lawsuits As Of September 30, 2013 According To SEC Corporate Filing
Next Bellwether Trial Dates: In New Jersey, One To Three Cases Set For March 2014; And, In Fosamax Federal Court MDL, One Case Set For May 2014
SUMMARY: From the Merck SEC Form 10-Q for the quarterly period ended September 30, 2013:
•... plaintiffs in approximately 4,115 of these actions generally allege that they sustained femur fractures and/or other bone injuries (“Femur Fractures”) in association with the use of Fosamax.
•... approximately 1,085 cases were pending in the Fosamax Femur Fracture MDL as of September 30, 2013.
•As of September 30, 2013, approximately 2,520 cases alleging Femur Fractures have been filed in New Jersey state court and are pending before Judge Higbee in Atlantic County Superior Court.
We will continue to monitor the Fosamax - femur fracture litigation and report significant developments.
[Read this article in full at original source]
Earlier Fosamax articles by Tom Lamb on the Drug Injury Watch blog:
About 1000 Pending Fosamax - Jaw Injury Lawsuits Are Subject To Judge Keenan's August Order Remanding Cases For Trial And Disbanding The Federal Court MDL
Fosamax - Femur Fracture Lawsuits Filed Against Merck Said To Total 3,940 As Of June 30, 2013
Merck Continues To Dispute Scheinberg Fosamax Plaintiff Verdict At June 2013 Hearing Before Judge Keenan Concerning The ONJ Warnings Aspect Of Case
Second Fosamax - Femur Fracture Lawsuit Trial Starts In New Jersey, This One In The Federal Court MDL With Judge Pisano Presiding
March 2013 Fosamax Product Liability Litigation Update: Femur Fracture Cases Against Merck
First Fosamax - Femur Fracture Trial In New Jersey State Court Scheduled To Start March 4, 2013
Should Merck Have Known And Warned About Fosamax Side Effects Involving The Jaw And Femur Bone Problems Starting When This Drug Was First Put On Market In 1995
Atypical Femur Fractures: Due To Fosamax Or A Bisphosphonates Drug Class Side Effect?
January 2013 Fosamax Federal Court MDL Trial: Scheinberg vs. Merck: ONJ / Jaw Injury Case
Fosamax And Femur Fractures: Two New 2012 Medical Journal Articles Go From One Diagnosis To Many Long-Term Outcomes Of Patients
Intramedullary Nailing Surgery Is Successful Treatment For Patients With Femur Fractures From Use Of Fosamax Or Other Bisphosphonates
Subtrochanteric Femoral Fractures With Use Of Oral Bisphosphonates: Fosamax, Actonel, And Boniva
Third Boles vs. Merck Fosamax Trial In September 2012 Involves Only The Damages Amount Aspect
Use Of Oral Bisphosphonates Such As Boniva And Fosamax Associated With Inflammatory Eye Diseases
Fosamax Femur Fractures: Many Impending Cases Go Unrecognized By Doctors And Radiologists Due To Subtle Characteristics
New Australian Study Supports An Apparent Association Between Long-Term Fosamax Use And Certain Types Of Femur Fractures
Risk Of Femur Fractures From Osteoporosis Drugs Fosamax, Boniva, Actonel, And Reclast Related To Number Of Years Used
1,165 Fosamax - Femur Fracture Lawsuits Pending As Of December 31, 2011 According To Merck
April 2012 Fosamax Trial Jury Verdict For Sessner v. Merck Case Expected Soon In New Jersey
Fosamax - ONJ Litigation: Sessner v. Merck Trial In New Jersey State Court: Plaintiff's Opening Statement
Fosamax Trial In New Jersey State Court Scheduled To Start Monday, February 27, 2012
Fosamax Osteonecrosis Of The Jaw (ONJ) Federal Court MDL Litigation: A Mixed Forecast For 2012
Women Who Use Bisphosphonates Like Fosamax And Boniva Have Increased Risk Of Femur Fracture / Thigh Bone Breaks
How One Might Determine Whether The Femur Fracture Is Related To A Bisphosphonate Such As Fosamax
September 2011: Two FDA Advisory Committees Will Discuss The Safety Of Long-Term Use Of Fosamax, Boniva, And Actonel
Next Fosamax Jaw Injury Lawsuit Trial, Secrest v. Merck, Scheduled To Start In Early September 2011
Fosamax: Femur Fractures And Osteonecrosis Of Jaw: Medical Journal Articles: May 2011 Update
Fosamax Litigation: Jaw Injury And Femur Fracture Cases, Federal And NJ Courts: April 2011 Update
Thigh Bone Leg Fractures In Older Women Using Fosamax, Boniva, And Reclast For Five Years Or More
Fosamax MDL Judge Wants Two More Bellwether Cases Selected Per February 2011 Order
First Fosamax Trial Against Merck In New Jersey State Court Starts In January 2011
Graves v. Merck Fosamax MDL Trial Begins After Pre-trial Motions Rulings By Judge Keenan
Graves v. Merck Fosamax MDL Trial Jury Verdict Is Expected By End Of November 2010
Fosamax Femur Fracture Warning Label Change By Merck Seems Likely After Task Force Report
Boles v. Merck Fosamax Trial Jury Verdict Is $8 Million For Plaintiff In June 2010
What Is New In First Half Of 2010 Concerning Atypical Femur Fractures In Patients Using Bisphosphonates
Fosamax MDL Litigation Update - May 2010: Maley Case Trial Verdict Goes In Favor Of Merck
Some Fosamax Users Have Had Their Femur Fracture Without Any Fall Or Other Trauma
February 2010: Fosamax Federal Court MDL Litigation Update; Next Trial Starts In Mid-April
Bisphosphonates Such As Fosamax And Femur Fractures: Some Recent 2009 Medical Journal Articles
November 2009: Osteonecrosis Of The Jaw (ONJ) And Fosamax: Four Recent Medical Journal Articles
Case Report Of Bilateral Femur Fractures In Patient Using Fosamax
First Fosamax Trial Federal Court MDL Will Start As Scheduled On August 11, 2009
Relatively Little Is Known About Long-Term Safety Of Bisphosphonates Such As Fosamax, Boniva, Actonel
The Tale Of Merck's Fake Medical Journal As Told At A Vioxx Trial In Australia
More About A "New" Fosamax Bone Side Effect, Leg Fractures In Region Of Thigh Or Femur
Fosamax Update January 2009: More Osteonecrosis Of Jaw Cases Reported In Medical Journal
When Will FDA Report Its Findings About Any Link Between Fosamax And Atrial Fibrillation
Association Between Long Term Fosamax Use And Femoral Stress Fracture Is Challenged
655 Fosamax Lawsuits Have Been Filed Against Merck & Co. According To June 30, 2008 Update
New York Doctors Find One Type Of Femoral Stress Fracture Is Possible Fosamax Side Effect
Jaw Bone Decay, Or Osteonecrosis, Is Serious Albeit Rare Side Effect Of Fosamax Use
Bisphosphonate-Induced Osteonecrosis And Osteomyelitis Of The Jaw Are Real Side Effects Of Drugs Like Fosamax
December 2007 FDA "Patient Safety News" Videos For Doctors Online
Bisphosphonate Safety Update: FDA Is Investigating Link With Atrial Fibrillation In October 2007
Bisphosphonate-Induced Osteonecrosis Of The Jaw: Medical Journal Updates
Vioxx And Fosamax Lawsuits: Additional Legal Defense Money
Drug-induced Osteonecrosis Of The Jaw (ONJ) Caused By Bisphosphonates: Part Two
Drug-induced Osteonecrosis Of The Jaw (ONJ) Caused By Bisphosphonates: Part One
Connection Between Fosamax And Ostenecrosis Of The Jaw (ONJ) Gains More Attention
Fosamax: Bone-building Drug Has A Potentially Serious Side Effect
Update On Fosamax And Ostenecrosis Of The Jaw (ONJ)
Did Merck Fail To Warn About Fosamax Side Effects?
All content by attorney Tom Lamb